It has been announced that a free cervical smear test will be provided to anyone who has concerns following the recent revelations following the CervicalCheck scandal.
The Government has offered this to ease the concerns of anyone who might be worried regarding the results of previously carried out cervical smear tests. This announcement follows a meeting of senior doctors who sought to address the concerns over the confidence in the CervicalCheck Screening programme.
The CervicalCheck Scandal came to light following a cancer misdiagnosis settlement of €2.5m was announced for Ms Vicky Phelan last week. Ms Phelan underwent a cervical smear in 2011 that gave no indication that she had cervical cancer. However, a audit carried out in 2014 showed that the results of that test were incorrect. Despite this she (Ms Phelan) was only advised in 2017 that she had contracted cervical cancer. Unfortunately, in January 2018 she was told that she has just 12 months to live.
The Irish Cancer Society has also announced that it is providing emergency funding for an additional 500 counselling sessions in their centres nationwide. The Society made this announcement in order to alleviate some of the worry among those impacted by the controversy.
The Irish Cancer Society provides funding to the following Support Centres across the country who deliver free professional counselling:
- ARC Cancer Support Centres, Dublin
- Arklow Cancer Support Group, Wicklow
- Balbriggan Cancer Support Centre
- Ballinasloe Cancer Support Centre
- Cancer Support Sanctuary, LARCC
- Cois Nore, Kilkenny Cancer Support Centre
- Cork ARC Cancer Support House
- Cuan Cancer Social Support and Wellness Group, Co Cavan
- Cúisle Centre, Portlaoise
- Dochas Offaly Cancer Support, Tullamore
- Donegal Cancer Flights & Services
- Eist, Carlow Cancer Support Centre
- Gary Kelly Cancer Support, Drogheda
- Greystones Cancer Support
- Hope Cancer Support Centre, Enniscorthy
- Letterkenny Donegal– administered through Sligo Cancer Support
- Mayo Cancer Support Association, Castlebar
- Midwestern Cancer Foundation, Limerick
- Recovery Haven Cancer Support House, Tralee
- Roscommon Cancer Support Centre
- Sligo Cancer Support Centre
- Solas Cancer Support Centre, Waterford
- Suaimhneas Cancer Support Centre, Nenagh
- Tallaght Cancer Support Group, Dublin
- Tuam Cancer Care Centre