Baby Tube Hospital Medical Malpractice Claim Resolved

Posted:

A couple from Staffordshire have been awarded an undisclosed hospital medical malpractice settlement after their son coughed up a tube which had been left in his throat following a surgical procedure.

Claire Thomas of Cannock, Staffordshire, had just given birth to her son, Owen, at the Stafford Hospital in February 2007 when the incident occurred. It had been a difficult birth, and because he had experienced should dystocia during the delivery, an endotracheal tube had been inserted into his throat to enable him to breathe.

Due to the birth issues, Claire and Owen were still in the specialist care unit at Stafford Hospital ten days later when Owen started choking. Claire slapped him on the back, and Owen coughed up the six inch tube which had been left in his throat after the surgical procedure.

After taking legal counsel, Claire and her husband, Kevin, filed a hospital medical negligence claim against the Mid-Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust which has now been resolved for an undisclosed sum. Owen, their son, has fortunately suffered no long-term consequences as a result of the hospital mistake.